Friday, September 16, 2011

My attempt and failure at Missoni-ing...

Didn't somebody famous once say something about the only failure is in not trying?  Yeah, well, I tried, and I'd still have to call the result a failure.

So I saw these beautiful Missoni pillows on the Target website, but I'm not much of a seamstress, so I thought I'd try the same technique on cardboard...with a glue gun.
There's also one in shades of purple that I love too.  Okay, so in my defense, the nearest craft store is about 40 minutes away--and craft store + toddler = chaos.  It's been a rough week because Emme's been teething and has been getting up several times a night.  My husband is on 3rd shift, so he's basically absent....I have no idea how single moms do it!!! 

Back to my craft fail - if I had the opportunity to go choose my own felt colors specifically for this project, I think it would have turned out somewhat better.   However, I just had a couple scrap pieces from trying to make felt flowers a couple months ago.

So without further delay, here she is....

If I had the time and patience and materials to do it again, I think it would turn out better overall....but I'm still not sure that this look is meant for anything but a pillow.  Wall hangings....not so much.  

I hope this has given you a feeling of joy and achievement as I'm sure any project you've completed recently MUST be better than this (I read an article on how to be a happy mom yesterday, and she mentioned that moms spend too much time comparing themselves....it's okay, I'm fine with this failure)

Have you had a complete craft fail?  Please share the juicy details!

If by some crazy chance that this idea ran through your mind, I want to spare you the burnt fingers from the hot glue gun...so I've linked this post to:



Take Care and have a great weekend -

e

7 comments:

Donene said...

The letter is great Love the colors! Thanks for visiting and your nice comments!

Alanna said...

I have craft fails all the time!
I actually like your idea, and I think the felt was great instead of heading to the craft store (3 yr old and 1 yr old boys, I understand!)...I wonder how it would look if you layed the ruffles on a diagonal...

Have a great weekend!

Laura said...

Oh, well, fail? I'm not sure about that. I kinda like it. The colors are fallish and it has a lot of texture. I think it does not look its best hanging on the mirror, cause you can see the back side. Poor "S" didn't want anyone to see his bare backside! ;) I think if you move him somewhere else you might like him better. But, yes, I have had many craft fails. Many, many craft fails...

I've also had a busy working husband with a teething toddler. Not fun! I promise it gets better. I won't say hang in there, cause really, what else you gonna do?

Dear Lillie said...

Haha - first let me say I think it turned out great but I know exactly what you are talking about. I made some burlap letters this weekend to spell out FALL to replace my moss ones and they turned out AWFUL! Such a pain to have wasted precious time on them. And I also am with you - I have no idea how single moms do it either. My husband is gone a ton and it is so difficult but at least I know he is coming back!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I actually think it's cute. I could see it in different colors for a boy or girl's room. I can't imagine how long it took you to do! Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Ready party. :)

Erin said...

Thanks for the support - the diagonal would probably look better. I can't imagine 2 boys...my son can be so rough...but my daughter isn't walking yet, so she may end up being just as rough! Thanks again!

Erin said...

I know what you mean about "hanging in there" - some days around breakfast time, I think...."its gonna be a long day, how will I ever survive until bedtime"....but we always get there somehow--and more often than not, my kooky kids bring my out of my self-pity pretty quickly! Thanks for the comments...I had planned on covering the backside with felt, but by the time I was done, I was out of felt and energy to put into it's sorry self. Thanks..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...